Legos - Fabulous and Funny?

Thursday, February 13, 2014 |

I grew up playing with legos and video games with my older brother, so the below ad caught my eye as soon as I saw it!  The little girl is fabulous and funny -- just look at her proud (and maybe even mischievous) smile as she holds up her lego creation!


However, this ad is from 1981 and was made even more powerful by a "follow up" piece featuring the same woman 33 years later in 2014!  

via Yahoo

Look at the difference between the toys -- on the left is just a regular toy for all kids to enjoy and get creative.  There's no pink, sparkles or makeup involved.  On the right is a toy for girls, featuring a news van in which a female journalist gets to primp and report on a pretty cake.  What kind of message does that send females like us?

This made me reflect on my childhood -- while I played with figurines and video games like my brother, I did have a fake kitchen (complete with fake vegetables to chop!) and more than a few baby dolls.  How do you think this might have affected me?  

What kinds of toys did you play with growing up?  What are your favorite toys/game/activities now?

To learn more about how your favorite childhood toys might differ from those of years past, check this article out here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment