That's All, Folks!

Monday, February 24, 2014 |


I'm really not one for goodbyes. In fact, usually instead of goodbyes I sit alone in my room and try to figure out what I learned from a person, place or experience for better or worse. So instead of saying goodbye to you, dear readers, here's what you've taught me.

1. A picture says a thousand words. And certainly don't use a thousand words. I'd never written a blog before. I guess keeping a journal is the closest I've been to writing in this media. My journal entries are often poems, lists, and lots of rambling. While many others on this blog have found lists really effective ways of blogging, I found them a little impersonal and hard to connect with my reader (though this is a list... guess I'm giving it a go). So instead, I had to write pieces short, like lists, that would keep a reader's attention. The best way to break these up and get my point across with very few words was using pictures: the right ones and the right amount.

2. Funny is more than funny. Our short goofy posts had a point! Many of these posts kept our blog up to date with current events, ruminations, and even had powerful messages. Some of these posts literally consisted of less than a sentence -- but some of these were our more awesome posts!

3. Write to friends. Like I just mentioned, the closest I've been to blogging has been journal-ing. But journals are really personal. So at first my posts were really removed and focused on celebrities - funny females - and not really my opinion or how these women connected to me. Slowly, as I talked to my 15-year-old sister about our blog, I realized I could write to her. As my posts became more personal because I was writing to my sister, my best friend, they honestly got better. Ultimately, my last post was about my own mom and my relationship with her. I think it was hands down my most effective post and certainly one of the more personal things I've ever written (way more personal than my occasional journal entries with guest appearances of my mother).

Thanks for the lessons, ladies! Get out there and give blogging a try yourselves! You'll crush it, and certainly learn a thing or two.

0 comments:

Post a Comment